The Taj Mahal, one of the wonders of the world
If you are in India, do ask local people for a symbol of love and 9 out 10 people would say it is The Taj Mahal. The Taj Mahal is an ivory-white marble mausoleum on the bank of river Yamuna in Agra, India. It was built in 1632 by then Mughal Emperor Shan Jahan. It was built as a tomb of his favorite wife Mumtaz Mahal. This 42-acre wonder complex has a mosque, a few rooms and a lovely garden in front. The Taj Mahal was designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1983.
The Taj Mahal was constructed using materials from all over India and Asia. It is believed over 1,000 elephants were used to transport building materials. The translucent white marble was brought from Makrana, Rajasthan, the jasper from Punjab, jade, and crystal from China. The turquoise was from Tibet and the Lapis lazuli from Afghanistan, while the sapphire came from Sri Lanka and the carnelian from Arabia. In all, twenty-eight types of precious and semi-precious stones were inlaid into the white marble.
The Taj Mahal attracts millions of international/domestic tourist every year. According to UNESCO, the number of tourists visiting it every year is over 8-9 million.
How To Reach The Taj Mahal
The best way to reach Taj Mahal from any corner of the world is to take a flight to New Delhi (Capital of India) and from there book a taxi which will take 3-4 hours to reach Agra. There is an entrance fee for people visiting and tickets can be bought from either of two gates. It is advisable to go there on full moon night in the evening. The white marbles look stunning in the moonlight. One can visit between 06:00 AM and 19:00 PM every day except Friday. Please use the following link to book your tickets online to avoid rush/crowd at ticket counters.
Best Time To Go
The city Agra belongs to the Northen part of India and hence can be hot and humid in summers, which is why it is advisable to visit The Taj Mahal in the cooler months of November to February. For security reasons only five items are allowed inside the Taj Mahal i.e. water, video cameras, still camera, mobile phones and ladies purse (small).
Why Go there?
This very thing that it is the winner of 7 new wonders of the world is more than enough for anyone to visit The Taj Mahal. You will be left stunned by seeing the beauty of this place and architecture. It will leave surprised thinking how could they build something like this in the 16th century.
Where To Stay
Agra has numerous hotels to choose from ranging from super luxurious to budget. Use any international hotel booking site to book your place here. You can use the following link to find the best place.
Things To Remember
While the visit is mostly hassling free, but keep the following things in mind while planning for Taj Mahal.
* Book your tickets online. It will save your time and money.
* There are millions of documents on Taj Mahal already so you can carry printouts and save money by not to opt for guides. But if you can afford please go for official guides only.
* Carry sufficient water if you are going with kids.
* This place is gorgeously scenic and you would regret the trip if you are not carrying an awesome camera.
* The north India has so many cities which attract millions of visitors every year like Allahabad, Varanasi, Gaya etc. hence plan your trip for 7-10 days and visit all these places in on go.
* If it is not required please don’t shop near the place and if you have to then do a research beforehand. Bargain well :).
/// Written by Kunwar Vikas, India