Grown mainly for its seed, quinoa is a pseudocereal. It is non-grass and yet consumed the way cereals are consumed hence incorporating it into recipes is easy-peasy. It is easy to prepare and has a rice-like texture and flavor. Additionally, quinoa is packed with twice the fiber content of other grains and nine essential amino acids. Quinoa is also gluten-free.
Here are three recipes that you can try. Best part is, it includes fruits for the natural sweetness.
Fruit pizza with maple quinoa crust
Preparation time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Serves: 2 to 4
* ½ tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
* ¾ cup quinoa
* ¼ to ½ cup filtered water
* 1 tbsp. pure maple syrup*
* ¼ tsp. salt
* 1 small or ½ large avocado
* 2 tbsp. filtered water
* 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed orange or lemon juice
* 1 tbsp. maple syrup
* fresh fruits for topping
* You can use honey or ¼ tsp. powdered stevia.
1) Prepare the quinoa. Soak it in filtered water overnight (at least 8 hours). Rinse and drain. Dry quinoa will not work for this recipe.
2) Prepare the batter. In a high-speed blender or food processor, combine the quinoa, ¼ cup water, maple syrup and salt. Blend them until the consistency is pancake batter-like. The batter must be thick enough, but if it is too thick, you may add more water.
3) Cook the dough. Put the skillet over medium high heat. Put the olive oil. Pour the batter onto the pan. Swirl the pan, evening out the dough. You may also use a spatula. Cook each side of the dough for 3-5 minutes or until the edges and bottom are turning crisp and brown.
4) Prepare the avocado cream. Put the avocado, 2 tbsp. water, orange juice, and maple syrup into the blender or processor. Blend the mixture until smooth.
5) Prepare the fruit pizza. In a plate, put the cool crust (dough) and spread the avocado atop of it. Add the sliced fruit toppings of your choice.
6) Slice the fruit pizza. Serve and enjoy!
Quinoa fruit salad
Preparation time: 30 to 45 minutes
* ¾ cup quinoa
* 1 ½ cups water
* 1 ½ cups cubed pineapple
* 1 ½ cups whole blueberries
* 1 ½ cups whole raspberries
* ½ cup chopped walnuts
* 3 tbsp. honey
* 1 tsp. lime zest
* ½ lime juice
* ¾ cup chopped fresh mint
* 1 inch finely minced ginger
* 1 can refrigerated full-fat coconut milk
* 4 tsp. nutmeg powder
* 2 tsp. cornstarch
* 1 tsp. vanilla extract
* a pinch of salt
1) In a medium saucepan, put the quinoa, water, and salt. Bring it to a boil. Once it is boiling, reduce the heat. Simmer until water is absorbed by the quinoa. Remove the saucepan from heat once quinoa is tender. Let it cool.
2) Fluff the quinoa using a fork. Put it in a mixing bowl. Put the fruits, nuts and mint. Toss them.
3) In a small saucepan, put the honey, lime zest, lime juice and ginger. Heat it over low heat. Wait for the honey to liquefy before turning off the heat.
4) Pour the honey mixture over the quinoa mixture. Toss them to coat.
5) Open the refrigerated coconut milk. Don’t shake it before opening. Scoop the thick cream at the upper portion and put it in a mixing bowl. Beat it with cornstarch until you achieve a whipped cream consistency. Scrape down the side using a spatula. Beat the cream again while adding honey, nutmeg, and vanilla extract.
6) In a serving bowl, put the quinoa fruit salad. Top it with the cream. Serve and enjoy!
Quinoa fruit pudding
Preparation time: 30 to 45 minutes.
* 1 cup organic quinoa
* 3 cups cold water
* 2 cups boiling water
* 2 bananas
* ½ cup dried cherries
* ½ cup dried cranberries
* ½ cup unsweetened apple juice
* 1 tsp. vanilla extract
* ½ tsp. cinnamon powder
1) Rinse quinoa using cold water. Put the rinsed quinoa in the boiling water. Lower the heat. Simmer for 7 to 10 minutes.
2) Add the dried fruits. Continue simmering for 5 to 7 minutes until the dried cranberries and cherries absorbed the water.
3) Put the bananas, apple juice, vanilla extract and cinnamon powder in a food processor or blender. Puree.
4) Remove the quinoa and fruit mixture from the heat. Put the puree into the mixture. Mix well.
5) Put in serving bowls and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes or until ready to serve. Serve and enjoy!
The recipes above are very easy and the ingredients are widely accessible. These quinoa recipes are also very flexible. You can substitute some of the ingredients with your favorite fruits. Indeed, eating quinoa has never been this easy, fun and fruity!
/// Written by Justin Torres, The Philippines
About Author : Justin is a Filipino blogger and a self-proclaimed foodie. He currently writes and blogs for Hizon’s, a top catering services in the Philippines that cater to any type of events.